Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Compassion as a Lifestyle

Last night I finally had a chance to sit down and read the latest addition of NCM Magazine. For those of you that don't know what it is, it's a magazine that comes out from Nazarene Compassionate Ministries 4 times a year and has different stories in compassion from all over the world! I love it....the stories, the pictures..I just love it!

This particular addition focused on the Haiti earthquake. I loved reading the stories. Not so much loved in a good way, because they made be sad. But, Loved to see how Nazarenes from all over the world pull together to help! Even if it's $100,000 coming from a church in Richmond, VA or $100 from Children at a Nazarene school is Belize everyone gives to help where they can. I personally have given money to this as well. I've become passionate about giving to the Haiti Water Project. Find them here!
They aim to provide clean, safe water for communities in Haiti. The goal is to create sustainable water resources that empower local churches to meet the needs around them. One well can provide fresh water for around 2,000 people. One well or clean water resource at 500 local churches in Haiti equals one million changed lives.
Since the earthquake clean water has become an even bigger issue and so many people are becoming sick. This is due to many people being crammed together in IDP (Internally Displaced Person) camps.

Below are some pictures I took from the Nazarene Haiti Relief page on facebook.

So why am I writing this? I love missions, and compassionate ministry. But I also grew up in a family where it was important and taught to me at a young age. Really the only far away mission trip I've been to was in Australia....but that's not a third world country, we didn't have to suffer for Jesus while we were there.

Since 2006 I've wanted to do something else. I'd love to go to Africa! I'd also enjoy going to Suriname to work in the orphanage, Thanks to Curt Luthye the Caribbean Missionary! :) If I could just take off for a couple months and leave everything here behind I'd do it in a heartbeat, but there is constantly the looming of a job and bills over my head. Can I ever get away from it?

I currently work at a compassion ministry here. But, I'm stuck. I don't feel lead to work with the people of this neighborhood. I sure do try. I have to try every day to have a positive attitude with the people I come in contact with but it's hard. It's hard to be at a place where I don't feel it's REAL and that we really truly care about the people we're serving. Sure, some of the people here do but I feel like for the most part it's a fake smile, take my picture to make it seem like I'm serving you, I'll shake your hand and offer a warm meal, but I don't even know your name or really care to know much about you unless it's for a good story later on.

This bothers me and I hate being comfortable in a place like this. We should be more excited to serve the people we come in contact with everyday. I used to drive down 10th street and be appauled and shocked at the things I would see driving down the street and now I don't even turn my head to notice a mom of one of our daycare kids walking down the street with a bag of groceries. Maybe it's because I don't like my job but it bothers me that I no longer care about these people. I don't know how to change this perspective other than to just to pray for a change of attitude and to pray for the people I work with to change as well.

I find it interesting the theme that many Haitians have inspired during this time of turmoil, “NOU SOVE N AP SEVI” which means, "We Survive, We Serve". I think that should be a motto for us as well. I survive...I have designer purses, a brand new house with a warm bed, lots of clothes and good food to eat. So why can't I be more serving to the people around me?

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your struggle for compassion. It is an important issue.

    To encourage you: At least you are doing something! Most Christians are indifferent to poor people. It seems like you are experiencing the reality of life. As teens we had these romantic visions of love. When we get married there is romance, but love really hits the pavement when the feelings and emotions aren't always there. Love, like compassion isn't always going to be filled with emotion. True Christian love is displayed when we stick through the dry emotional times, when those feelings of caring aren't there. I do appreciate your self-critique of comfort. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete