Monday, September 12, 2011

Soccer Mom Weekend

This weekend I was a Soccer Mom in Training.  My parents are in Florida so Tucker will be staying with us until Wednesday.  It's been very interesting having another person in our house just because we have to think about his needs and when he needs to eat and when he takes his medicine and when he needs to get in the shower and go to bed.  It's not bad....just an adjustment.


So while in my soccer my in training weekend I woke up early on Saturday morning.  I would have much rather slept until at least 9, but once Tucker was up at 7:30 there was no going back.


I knew that since I was going to be spending lots of time at home I planned a couple of things to make before the weekend thanks to Pinterest and made sure I had all the ingredients.


Saturday morning we started with a Cinnamon Sugar Bread.  It was EASY and SUPER delicious.

The recipe called for a Sour Dough Loaf but I used the King's Hawaiian Honey Wheat bread which I think made it taste much sweeter than it normally would.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Vanilla Honey Butter Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

To make Vanilla Honey Butter: Whip butter and 1/4 cup powdered sugar together until smooth; stir in honey and vanilla.  Set aside. (You can use regular butter if desired)

1 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon



Cut the bread lengthwise into 1/2" slices, without cutting through the bottom crust. Spread vanilla honey butter in between slices.  Rotate the bread 90 degrees and slice the bread again into 1/2" pieces, without cutting through the bottom crust. Spread more vanilla honey butter in between new cuts. This doesn't need to be perfect - just make sure there is lots of butter in between all the cuts. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Generously sprinkle in between all cuts. (You may have extra butter and cinnamon sugar.  It will just depend on how large your bread loaf is.)  (I also would have cut ALL the way through the bread since it was already in a foil pan. I think it would have made it easier getting it out later on.)


Icing Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 Tbsp milk

Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. (I just covered the top with foil) Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until bread is warm.  Unwrap cinnamon bread and place on serving platter.  Combine powdered sugar and milk - adding milk until you get the consistency desired.  Drizzle icing over bread and serve immediately.



Tucker could not get enough of it!  He finished the last little bit off for breakfast this morning and even told me I needed to give mom the recipe!  ha


After breakfast we made our way to soccer practice and even brought Millie along.  I was nervous at first because she LOVES balls and small children so I thought she'd be nuts but once we made it inside to the field she was calm and waited patiently for practice to end.


After practice we were back at the house and I wanted to wait until Brian got home so that we could eat lunch him so I made Peanut Butter and Nutella Swirl cookies.  I'm a sucker for ANYTHING with Nutella!....and peanut butter for that matter!


These are EASY!


Ingredients
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
Approx. 1/4 cup Nutella

Directions
-Preheat oven to 350° F.
-Combine butter, peanut butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla. Mix until well blended.
-Add flour, baking soda and salt. Drizzle Nutella on top of the dough then swirl it through the dough with a butter knife.
-Chill dough 15 minutes in the refrigerator. Roll into balls by hand. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Using a fork, press down the balls to flatten slightly. Bake until edges are very lightly browned (about 7 to 10 minutes).
 Allow to rest 2 minutes on cookie sheet before transferring cookies to a cooling rack.




So the rest of the afternoon was spent playing video games, watching TV and me doing the laundry, washing the dishes and cleaning the house.


That night we decided to take Tucker to Tucker's Onion Burgers, because who doesn't want to eat somewhere with their name in it?  It just opened on 23rd street across from Cheever's and I highly recommend you try it out!  We didn't feel like that it was pricey compared to anything else and Tucker declared that it "changed his life"  It was a beautiful night, so once a table opened we were able to eat outside!


Sunday morning would come Pinterest Recipe #3. Strawberry Cream Cheese Croissants!
Sadly this picture was not taken by me and no one other than us ate these yummy little things. I became super sick Sunday morning and spent most of the morning with cramps in bed.  ugh...being a girl.


I can let you read the recipe on your own but I think for myself I'd use less Jelly next time! :)


Any other Pinterest Recipes I need to try soon?

1 comment:

  1. Well isn't that the best weekend? I love cooking! Looks like you're getting in good practice being a soccer mom! Sounds like it was fun!

    ReplyDelete